Sunday, 27 June 2010

Scruffts Qualifying Heat

I went to Scruffts today in Manchester which was a long way away. I didn't win anything which was ok as I left my mark in the ring anyway but that was quickly cleared up with a mop!

__________________________________________________________________

Scruffts is a competition run by the Kennel Club for crossbreed and mixed breed dogs.

The winner of each class will be entered into the Grand Final to compete for the overall accolade of Scruffts Family Crossbreed Dog of the Year at this year’s Discover Dogs on the 13th - 14th Nov 2010.

Bo will be entering Prettiest Crossbreed Bitch 6 months - 7 years.

We arrived at My Pet Stop in Manchester in good time and went to the registration tent where we registered despite being 30 mins early which was a help. After applying several layers of sun cream, being a steaming hot day, we then realised that the event was happening in the indoor arena!

About an hour before the show we went in to have a look around and were glad we did as the seats were filling up fast so we claimed our place and waited. Again we realised this was a good thing as Bo was extremely excited having been cooped up in the car on the journey and this gave her time to settle.

Our class was the third of the day and unfortunately Bo did not get placed at all. Having said that I have to say that we were dissapointed with the judging, which is not a case of sour grapes. I understand that Scruffts is not a Crufts show but I did expect the judge to be a judge and not someone who works at the local rescue centre. It really was just random picking which is fine for a fun dog show but we expected more from Scruffts.

My Pet Stop were also running a companion show alongside the Scruffts event and Bo got 2nd place in the 'Lovely Lady' competition which was a bonus despite leaving a 'deposit' in the show ring!

I don't think we would travel a distance again for a companion show but it is all experience and hopefully Bo will be getting better and better behaved each time.